Friday, December 20, 2013

Anatomy Gingerbread Men

When looking for a post-midterm activity for my students, I stumbled across an amazing blog with posts entitled Science Cookie Roundup.  She has collected many beautiful cookies with science themes, and I thought I would try my hand at this with my students.  We have one day between completing our exams and a two week holiday break, so this really fit the bill.


My cookies: skeletal, circulatory, and digestive systems
I purchased frozen gingerbread cookies from GFS, along with a tub of white icing, piping bags, and Wilton food colors I had from home baking projects.  I showed students a few example pictures I found online, and they had a blast.



My favorite part of this activity is that it's holiday related without being religious.  At school I need to be sensitive to the fact that  many of my students do not celebrate Christmas, but everyone can have fun decorating a cookie.


The students really enjoyed making their cookies, and were so excited to have me take pictures of their work.  Here are a few of their creations.

ok, so they're not all science...

beautiful detail on her holly and string of lights

little pink heart to accent her skeleton

This one broke his arm, so it's bleeding.



this skeleton is wearing a Santa suit.

Mr. and Mrs. Claus

Tarzan and Jane.  My student says this counts as science because Jane went to study the gorillas...


Two skeletons made by friends sitting next to one another, so they placed them holding hands.


nice contrast with the green and white













No comments:

Post a Comment