Friday, November 9, 2012

Beef Femur Dissection

This week in Anatomy & Physiology we are discussing bones.  We've read about bones, taken notes, and summarized what we know in graphic organizers.  If you'd like to download a copy of the instructions - click here.

This week's standard:

4.03 Describe the structure and functions of bone. Differentiate between spongy and compact bone.

I thought something new and fun would be to dissect a bone.  I haven't done this activity with my A&P class before, but wanted to give it a try.  I contacted a local butcher here in Central Ohio, who was wonderful enough to give me a great deal on some beef femur bones.  I got two femurs cut down the center to see the bone lengthwise, and 15 discs (about 1" thick) for students to dissect and observe under the dissecting microscope.

Beef femur with the head cut off - oops.
I would recommend showing the butcher a pic of what you wanted before s/he made the cuts, as they didn't understand that I wanted the femoral head attached and cut it off (but still were able to give it to me separately).





I had the students identify the following structures: diaphysis, epiphysis, epiphyseal line, metaphysis, articular cartilage, red marrow, yellow marrow, spongy bone, compact bone.  In addition, most were able to locate and identify skeletal muscle, tendon, and blood vessels.

Under the dissecting microscope, all students were able to observe the yellow marrow, and some were able to see some spongy bone with red marrow in it as well.


slice of bone for students to dissect, this student is removing some yellow marrow.

I think the most surprising thing that students found was that spongy bone didn't feel spongy.  I think they expected it to be soft and pliable, and it was a good experience for them to see how firm the lattice structure is where the red marrow is found.

I think next year I will show the butcher a pic of what I want before I order my bones, and for my students, I will make sure that I keep a sample of the spongy bone and red marrow (which is more difficult to remove than the yellow marrow) so that all students have a chance to view it under the microscope.

Overall, not a bad first try - and I think next year will be even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment