Tuesday, April 24, 2018

What do you do with Science models?

I feel like there are a lot of unused Biological charts and models sitting in the back of classrooms as decorations.  I have always wanted to have access to these beautiful models, but once I get one, how do you use it with a class full of 25+ students and ONE model? 

I inherited several of these in the classroom I moved into, and I've tried to find new ways to make use of them.
 


One way I've discovered is through station work.  As students move around the room, only 3-4 of them are investigating the model at a time. 



This works well some of the time, but I found recently on one of my models that it has screws on the back and can be taken apart!  This has allowed me to separate it into five parts and use it much more successfully.


I have students rotate through and I ask them to identify specific letters or numbers and then discuss the function of that part with their classmates as they progress. 


You could even ask them to find their favorite YouTube video explaining how that organ works, or connect it to diagrams in their text to make comparisons and find differences.  It's always nice to compare why an author chose to include or leave out certain information in their artwork.


I also have a lovely poster with overlays I use for the same purpose.  I feel like it's helping me get more use out of these resources that previously were just dusty decor.


If you've got access to some models you're not using, maybe you should revisit the options available for students to enjoy them, while getting up out of their seats and interacting with one another to help cement their memory of the information.


If you're interested in seeing what other things I like to do in my class, check out my store on TPT for free and paid items.  Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment